Dr. LAU, Pui Yan Flora 劉珮欣博士
Associate Head and Associate Professor
Office: Room LC837, Library Complex, Hong Kong Shue Yan University,
12 Wai Tsui Crescent, Braemar Hill, North Point, Hong Kong.
Academic and Professional Qualification
D.Phil. in Sociology, University of Oxford
M.Sc. in Sociology, University of Oxford
M.Phil. in Sociology, University of Hong Kong
B.Soc.Sc. in Sociology, University of Hong Kong
Specialism and Research Interests
Self and identity
Death and illness
Labour market and employment
Course offered in 2022-23
SOC 259 Race and Ethnicity
SOC 337 Criminology
SOC 358 Poverty, Social Policy and Social Innovation
SOC 401-2 Honours Project
Course offered in previous years
SOC 107 Understanding Sociology
SOC 356 Gender Relations
SOC 405 Social Control
SOC 504 Individualization and the Family
GEC 102 The Struggling Self in the Global Society
- Lau, P.Y.F. (2022) Book review for Leisure and forced migration: lives lived in asylum systems, Edited by Nicola de Martini Ugolotti and Jayne Caudwell. Leisure Studies, 41(4): 603-604. https://doi.org/10.1080/02614367.2022.2037153 (Scopus CiteScore 2021: 3.8)
- Lau, P.Y.F. (2021). Empowerment in asylum seekers regime? The roles of policies, non-profit sector and refugee community organizations in Hong Kong. Journal of Refugee Studies, 34(1): 305-327. (https://academic.oup.com/jrs/article/34/1/305/5613781?guestAccessKey=4ed064cd-3572-4892-89b6-3ae711135a2b) (2021 Impact Factor: 2.966)
- Lau, P.Y.F. (2020). Fighting COVID-19: Social capital and community mobilisation in Hong Kong. International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy, 40(9/10): 1059-1067. (https://doi.org/10.1108/IJSSP-08-2020-0377) (Scopus CiteScore 2021: 2.5)
- Lau, P.Y.F. (2020). Bereavement and Loss. In D. Gu and M. Dupre (Eds.), Encyclopaedia of Gerontology and Population Aging. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-69892-2_505-1
- Lau, P.Y.F., & Gheorghiu, I. (2018). Vanishing Selves under Hong Kong’s Unified Screening Mechanism. Cultural Diversity in China, 3(1), 21-35. https://doi.org/10.1515/cdc-2018-0003
- Lau, F.P.Y. (2015) Breaking through the Barriers – Ethnic Minority Success Stories and their Implications for Policy Intervention in Hong Kong. Final Report for Funding Programmes of Research Projects on Equal Opportunities 2013-14. Hong Kong: Equal Opportunities Commission.
- Lau. P.Y.F. (2014). Coping with the death of singleton children in China: the role of social capital. International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy, 34(5/6), 401-415. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJSSP-06-2013-0065 (Scopus CiteScore 2021: 2.5)
- Lau, P.Y.F. (2012). Rethinking asset-based community development strategies in post-earthquake China: The role of social capital. Poverty and Public Policy, 4(3), 35-48. https://doi.org/10.1002/pop4.3 (Scopus CiteScore 2021: 0.8)
As Principal Investigator
- “How do ethnic minorities cope with cancer in Hong Kong? The role of public health services, social network and religion”, HK$947,631 funded by Research Grant Council (RGC), Faculty Development Scheme (FDS), 2021/22 Competitive Research Funding Schemes for the Local Self-financing Degree Sector, Jan 2022 – Dec 2023.
- “People without identity: Exploring the social experiences of asylum seekers in Hong Kong”, HK$437,000 funded by Research Grant Council (RGC), Faculty Development Scheme (FDS), 2015/16 Competitive Research Funding Schemes for the Local Self-financing Degree Sector, Jan 2016 – Dec 2017.
- “The expectation and decision making process for fresh university graduates: the role of social ties”, HK$18,600 funded by Research and Staff Development Committee (RSDC), Hong Kong Shue Yan University, Mar 2014 – Aug 2015.
- “Breaking through the barriers – Ethnic minority success stories and their implications for policy intervention in Hong Kong”, HK$8,900 funded by Equal Opportunities Commission (EOC), Jan 2014 – Jan 2015.
Other academic activities
- Member of Multidisciplinary Review Panel, New Frontiers in Research Fund 2022 Special Call – Research for Postpandemic Recovery, Canada Research Coordinating Committee (CRCC)
- Session Co-organizer, RC31 Sociology of Migration, XX International Sociological Association (ISA), World Congress of Sociology. Session title: Migration in Asia – Integration and Cultural Diversity. Melbourne, Australia, 25th June – 1st July 2023.
- Member of Programme Review Panel, HKU SPACE (2022)
- Editorial Advisory Board Member, International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy (2021 - now)
- External Academic Advisor, Lingnan Institute of Further Education (LIFE) (2020 - now)
- External Examiner, Lingnan Institute of Further Education (LIFE) (2013-2020)